Friday, March 21, 2008

A Break from Literature

One confirmed reader! Woo!

I've decided to take a break from writing exclusively about write things, just so that this blog doesn't get stagnant. This is all I will say about literary type things this blog: I recently read two of the coolest story ideas/concepts ever due to McSweeney's. I won't give them out, but here's a recap:

Story 1: Called simply “Three,” the story presupposes a somewhat realistic situation in the near future where overpopulation has caused such a drain on the natural resources that without a serious drop in population, everyone will die of starvation. To circumvent this, Proposition 6 is enacted on the populace. What's Proposition 6? Any family over 3 in number must decide amongst themselves to sacrifice one member of the family for the greater good. Run away, everyone dies. The story follows one family as they follow the instruction manual and try to decide who should die. It is perhaps one of the most perverse story ideas I've ever read, and I couldn't stop reading it. Amazing.

Story 2: Attempting to create A.I., a guy builds a computer program that can create poems and stories on its own. As technology progresses, the computer gets fed more and more types of literature and is exposed to the Internet, the A.I. (Anna) becomes more and more sophisticated. The format of the story is kinda weird, in this scientific, outline style and by the end of the story you realize that the narrator is actually Anna (the A.I.). Sort of changes the way you read the story. Actually found it to be really creative and unique as a story idea. Like nothing I've read before.

Non-Literary things:

Not surprisingly, my bracket is the process of being blown up. I'm not too distraught about it. I must say though, had Duke lost last night to Belmont, I would have had no problem with a destroyed bracket. I did have Duke losing in the Sweet 16 though. They're just not that good this year.

I tend to talk a decent amount about me playing guitar/having a guitar/having just recently bought a guitar, bu tno one has ever really seen me play/seen my guitars. So, since I'm bored and have nothing better to do, here's a picture of my guitars:


On the left is my newest guitar, only about a month old. It's a Paul Reed Smith SE Singlecut electric guitar with a tobacco burst. It's pretty awesome, and I'm really happy with it. I was going to just order an Epiphone Les Paul, but I'm glad I went to Guitar Center and actually played a bunch of guitars before buying one.
The one in the center is the 2nd guitar I've owned (the first being my abuelo's 3/4 old guitar that has since been donated to my high school's drama department's prop closet.). I got it when I was going into 8th or 9th grade, I don't remember exactly when but it was after my first year learning guitar. It's a Spanish classical meaning that it's got nylon strings, an extra wide and fat neck, and larger spacing between the frets. Basically, that means that it's somewhat harder to play, but has its advantages as a first guitar since it increases the stretchability of my fingers and is easier on the tips of your fingers. I haven't picked up this guitar in quite a while. This would be quite evident in a high resolution picture as you would notice the lack of a D string and all the dust.
The guitar on the right is a Yamaha Compass Series Acoustic Electric that I got for Hanukkah my senior year of high school. It's got a Midnight Blue burst finish. Now that I have the electric, I probably play them each about half of the time, depending on what I'm learning and my mood at the time.
Please ignore my laundry basket in the background.

Thus ends the first week of my blog. Hope you are enjoying what you are reading so far because I am enjoying writing it and tune back for more.

No comments: