Monday, March 17, 2008

Introduction

Welcome! ¡Bienvenidos! So...this is my first adventure with the world known as blogging. It's actually kinda funny since I don't read all that many blogs myself, and never really felt that the things that pass through my mind would interest many. However, here I am writing one, mostly because I'm unemployed and bored. In this state of unemployment, it occurred to me that it might be an interesting concept to blog the life of an unemployed soul, namely, mine. Very post-modern, though quite contemporary, or actual in the Spanish sense and pronunciation, two terms that aren't mutually exclusive. (How's that for a mindfuck?) Now that I may actually be nearing the end of my unemployment (fingers crossed), I decided to start up this blog. Sort of ironic, right? I guess now this blog will serve as an outlet for one of my biggest insecurities, my writing (something I never felt particularly talented about), and people reading said writing. Not really sure what will end up in this blog, or how well I will keep it up, but I'm going to try to be good about it. It'll start out with some reviews of books I've read recently (What I'd really love to do as a job), pieces of short fiction that I am writing, should I ever finish it (Hopefully, this will stimulate that project), musings that jump in my head as I a go through the day (hence the title of the blog) and random stories from my life, should I just feel the need to write.

I've always been in awe of creative writers, and I mean really good ones. Anybody can write a story and attempt to get it published (I should know, as I've been reading for McSweeney's, I've read some stories that made me want to ask the author if they really expected to get that story published, but that's another blog post), but few writers are actually really good, really inspirational for their creativity, their prose, their poetry, and the feelings that their writing evokes. I don't know if I'll ever be that creative, I can barely create something outside of the mundane on my guitar, but I'm at least going to give it a try. One of my professors in grad school, Fernando Operé, once told us about his friend Mempo Giardinelli, an extremely well-known Argentine writer whom I've met on several occasions. Fernando told us (I know Fernando from several other arenas and am completely within my rights to call him by his first name. He calls me Curro.) that Mempo told him that he has to write every single day, that he can't sleep if hasn't written something. So with this first post, I aim for the same lofty goal: to write, to write everyday, to write such that not writing is worse than writing poorly. Hopefully, a rare gem will come out every once and a while, and I'll surprise even myself.

No comments: